Happy Sunday bookworms!
How was everyone’s weeks/weekends? My week was crazy busy as per usual for this time of year. Part of the chaos of the week was an amazing author event though, so I can’t complain.
Let’s see what I had going on this week…
*Bookish Weekly Wrap-Up is a weekly post where I feature what posts were published on the blog for the past week, any bookish/blog happenings, what I recently finished reading, what I am currently reading, what I will be reading next, noteworthy posts around the bookish blogosphere, and any interesting bookish articles I came across.
» This past Thursday I attended Jacqueline Woodson’s book tour for Harbor Me. I was delighted by the huge turn out & the fact that there were a ton of children there. Jacqueline is such a bad ass in person. Sharon Draper was the moderator, and really knocked it out of the park. If you are a teacher in the mid-west (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, etc) I’d definitely see about contacting her for a school visit. She is absolutely fascinating. I’ll have a post about this event in the next couple of weeks.
Recently Finished Reading:
» City of Ghosts (Cassidy Blake #1) by Victoria Schwab
Feelings in a few thoughts:
- A wonderful MG book to read around October/Halloween time. Schwab did a great job writing for a younger audience. The “scary” elements are age appropriate.
- It’s a story about a girl with a ghost as a best friend…gave me Casper feels.
- Was a tad worried about the reality TV portion of the plot, but it was well done and did not feel cheesy.
- Perfect for fans of The Graveyard Book or Coraline
» The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth #2) by N.K. Jemisin
Feelings in a few thoughts:
- This series is freaking fantastic!
- Jemisin’s writing is unlike any I’ve read before. I don’t know how she pulls off writing in the 2nd person, but it works here.
- I was really able to wrap my mind around the world better in this book, there are still a few things that I struggled to grasp, but it is more of a “mind blown” feeling and not a confused feeling.
- I cannot wait to read the next book. I will definitely be finishing this series before the end of the year.
» The Reluctant Queen (The Queens of Renthia #2) by Sarah Beth Durst
» A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes #3) by Sabaa Tahir
Status: Just starting
What Am I Reading Next?:
» The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch #2) by Rin Chupeco
In The Bone Witch, Tea mastered resurrection―now she’s after revenge…
No one knows death like Tea. A bone witch who can resurrect the dead, she has the power to take life…and return it. And she is done with her self-imposed exile. Her heart is set on vengeance, and she now possesses all she needs to command the mighty daeva. With the help of these terrifying beasts, she can finally enact revenge against the royals who wronged her―and took the life of her one true love.
But there are those who plot against her, those who would use Tea’s dark power for their own nefarious ends. Because you can’t kill someone who can never die…
War is brewing among the kingdoms, and when dark magic is at play, no one is safe.
What are you currently reading?
What will you read next?
Have a wonderful week & happy reading