Happy Sunday evening bookworms!
It’s still technically Sunday here in Ohio for 2 more hours… Ugh! One of these Sundays I will return to posting my weekly wrap-up on Sunday AFTERNOON and not at 10pm Sunday night. At this point, I’m in “survival mode” with my family’s hectic fall schedule, so it probably isn’t going to get better until November. I’m sure some of you can relate.
Let’s see what I’ve been reading, shall we?
*Bookish Weekly Wrap-Up is a weekly post where I feature what posts were published on the blog for the past week, any bookish/blog happenings, what I recently finished reading, what I am currently reading, what I will be reading next, noteworthy posts around the bookish blogosphere, and any interesting bookish articles I came across.
Recently Finished Reading:
» Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Feelings in a few thoughts:
- It’s no secret that I am a sucker for eccentric characters, so I had a pretty good feeling that I was going to enjoy this book. Eleanor did not disappoint!
- Once I got to the 75 page mark, I read the rest of this book in one sitting. I just had to know what was going to happen.
- The plot was not predictable. I did manage to guess the big twist as a possible outcome, but it did not hinder my enjoyment.
- Honeyman did a wonderful job balancing the humor with the dark parts of the plot. I laughed out loud a few different times.
- Themes: mental health, friendship, self care, and self love.
- Content/Trigger: Suicide & Child abuse
- Would recommend this book to fans of A Man Called Ove, Counting by 7s, & The One-in-a-Million Boy.
» A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner
Feelings in a few thoughts:
- This is probably one of the only historical fiction books with a dual POV & timeline (present & past) where I enjoyed both plots equally. I almost always prefer the story occurring in the past to the one happening in the present time.
- I’ve never read a book with a fictional account of 9/11. Just reading about it took me back to that day. It is still so heartbreaking.
- This was a very emotional read during both storylines.
- I really wanted Clara to end up with someone else. I know it would have been obvious, but I don’t care!
» The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch #2) by Rin Chupeco
» The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
What Am I Reading Next?:
October is a big month for my most anticipated new releases of 2018! I pre-ordered both Muse of Nightmares and The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy which both come out October 2nd. I’ll most likely read one of these next.
*This! Great article about how we need to let kids chose what they want to read, instead of selecting books we think they should read. I had to learn this one myself when my own son started reading. He is more likely to read non-fiction books about sports & history, realistic fiction, or graphic novels, and that’s ok! He may never read the Harry Potter books, which breaks my heart, but it doesn’t matter what he’s reading as long as he’s reading.
What are you currently reading?
What will you read next?
Have a wonderful week & happy reading